Trio] The Kirch part of the house’s name comes from a later time: a family named Kirch lived in this house from 1857 – 1978.

posted in: cupid online dating | 0

3] The Kirch part of the house's name comes from a later time: a family named Kirch lived in this house from 1857 - 1978.

Mt. Bethel Meeting House

Mountainview Rd. and Mt. Bethel Rd.

Mt. Bethel Meeting House was built in 1761. It originally stood several miles from here on Quibbletown Gap Road (now called Old Church Road). In 1785, the building was taken apart and moved to this site in ox-drawn wagons. This building continued as an active church until the mid-1900’s, when a fresh Mt. Bethel Baptist Church building was built about a half mile from here at 147 Mt. Bethel Avenue. [1]

The cemetery has the graves of six known Revolutionary War soldiers: [Two]

David Ayres (Ayers or Ayer)

(Died January 16, 1814)

Benjamin Coddington (Corrington)

(Died August 28, 1836)

Private, Captain Ogden’s Company, Very first Regiment

(Died August 7, 1809, Age 51)

Corporal in Henry ",Light Pony Harry", Lee’s

",Lee’s Legion,", Continental Army

(March 22, 1754 – February Four, 1836)

(May 16, 1795, age 39)

Private, Somerset County

David Smalley, Esq.

(September 8th, 1816, Age 71)

Ensign, Colonel Hunt’s battalion, :Heard’s Brigade",

Ensign, Colonel Thompson’s battalion ",Detached Militia",

Captain, Very first Battalion, Somerset County

For information about hours and events,

contact the Warren Township Historical Society:

The Kirch-Ford house was built circa 1750. It was originally possessed by a man named Thomas Terrill (sometimes spelled ",Terrell",) who lived here with his wifey Tryphena. Thomas died in 1777. Tryphena remarried, most likely by 1778, to William Ford. Ford served as a private in the Revolutionary War for one month in October 1777 in the Middlesex County Militia, Third Regiment. William Ford (1731 -1815) is buried in the Old Colonial Cemetery in Metuchen. [Three]

The Kirch part of the house’s name comes from a later time: a family named Kirch lived in this house from 1857 – 1978.

1. ^ Information drawn from:

&bull, Plaque placed outside the Mt. Bethel Meeting house by the Fresh Jersey State Society – Colonial Dames XVII Century, in March 1979.

&bull, History page of the Mt. Bethel Baptist Church website.

Two. ^ Cemetery plaque placed by the Basking Ridge Chapter of NSDAR on October 1, 1991 lists the names of the six soldiers (and also states that there are ",others unknown.",)

Extra information was drawn from:

&bull, The soldier’s individual gravestones and markers

&bull, Daughters of the American Revolution Genealogical Research System

&bull, William S. Stryker, Official Register of the Officers and Studs of Fresh Jersey in the Revolutionary War (Trenton: Wm. T. Nicholson &, Co., 1872)

Links for individual soldiers in the DAR System and the Official Register are shown below:

Three. ^ Alan A. Siegel, The Kirch-Ford House (Warren Township, NJ: Warren Township Historic Sites Committee, 2003) p. 4-11

The ultimate field guide to Fresh Jersey’s Revolutionary War historic sites!

Warren Fresh Jersey Revolutionary War Sites &bull, Warren Fresh Jersey Historic Sites

Kirch-Ford House &bull, Mt. Bethel Meeting House

Website Researched, Written, Photographed and Designed by Al Frazza

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *