Published: 17:07 GMT, 8 May 2013 | Updated: 17:07 GMT, 8 May 2013
A fresh Facebook matchmaking app that permits users to be virtual wingmen promises to take the awkwardness out of being set up with strangers, and the guesswork out of online dating websites.
Launched by four friends from Toronto, Canada, in their thirties – all of whom were tired of attempting to meet fresh people in a big city – YouShouldTotallyMeet lets users set up a dating profile for a single friend and recommend them to other people in their instantaneous network.
The app also has a function that lets mutual friends agree or disagree with comments written about the singletons.
Playing cupid: Fresh app YouShouldTotallyMeet permits users to create dating profiles for their single friends and set them up with others via Facebook
The founders cite the fact that the two most common ways of meeting people these days are through blind dates, and online dating websites, both of which can be awkward.
Hayley Taylor, the app’s co-founder, said in a release: ‘By being set up with mutual friends of friends, it’s a way to “smooch fewer frogs,” so to speak.’
Share this article
It’s also a more human treatment to matchmaking than the algorithmic method used by some dating websites.
Users write dating profiles for their friends as well as at least three reasons why someone should ‘totally’ meet them, the idea being that a person’s friend will write a more fair profile for them than they might write themselves.
Then with a single click, the ‘wingman’ selects friends whom he or she wants to introduce to each other.
Dating profile: The app lets you write at least three qualities about your single friend that you think make them ‘totally’ awesome to meet. Mutual friends can then agree or disagree with what you’ve written
What’s more, since the pair being set up already have mutual friends, they are more likely to have other things in common, too.
‘We spotted an chance to use Facebook as a way for single people to have fewer bad dating practices,’ explained the co-founder.
Fresh users can also request their friends to be wingmen for them, instead of waiting to be set up.
YouShouldTotallyMeet is presently only available on Facebook, but a mobile-friendly version is also in the works and will be available soon.
Share or comment on this article
Most observed News movies
MOST READ NEWS
Share what you think
The comments below have not been moderated.
The views voiced in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.
We are no longer accepting comments on this article.
More top stories
MORE DON’T MISS
- Laura Govan defends herself against Tamar Braxton’s accusations ‘she’s pregnant with ex’s baby’ and ‘blames Gilbert Arenas for spreading lies’
- Getting ready! Ryan Seacrest and Maria Menounos bundle up in black parkas as they rehearse for Fresh Year’s Eve Counting down the hours
- ‘I married the love of my life’: Former Bachelor starlet Matt Grant ultimately ties the knot with Rebecca Moring Lovely duo
- ‘She is understandably devastated’: Coronation Street’s Faye Brookes ‘calls in police as hookup gauze and intimate pics are leaked online by hackers’
- ‘Naked strolls on the farm’: Imogen Anthony poses NUDE with miniature pony shock jock bf Kyle Sandilands gifted her for Christmas
- He’s crafty! Joaquin Phoenix works up a sweat after karate class as he uses safety pin to keep his sunglasses together Snazzy look
- ‘She made all these excellent jokes, mine fell brief’: Ruby Rose says Pitch Flawless Trio co-star Rebel Wilson stole the limelight on movie set
- ‘Nothing substitutes family’: Kyle Richards’ hubby Mauricio Umansky addresses home burglary. adding that ‘they can’t steal memories’
- From the ballroom to the football pitch! Rigorously finalists Gemma Atkinson and Aljaz Skorjanec reunite at Manchester United match
- Life’s a beach! Mark Wahlberg and model wifey Rhea Durham showcase off their astounding physiques as they love Barbados getaway No shortage of love
- Madison Beer puts on a very leggy display in lil’ jeans cut-offs and knee high boots as she likes romantic dinner date with fresh beau Zack Bia
- Winter loving! Ben Affleck shares a PDA moment with gf Lindsay Shookus before breakfast in Malibu He spent Christmas Day with his ex Jennifer
- Fabulous at 51: Salma Hayek shows off her enviable kinks in purple swimsuit during day at sea Someone who knows how to break the internet
Published by Associated Newspapers Ltd
Part of the Daily Mail, The Mail on Sunday &, Metro Media Group